CDC Publicly Recommends Precaution Against Swine Flu Infection
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warns people to take recommended precautions when interacting with pigs and avoiding in contact with them that appear ill.
The National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians has developed some preventive actions that are applicable to people raising swine.
CDC Reports Cases of H3N2 variant influenza virus infection continues to recommend preventive actions when interacting with pigs.
The number of cases of infection with H3N2 variant viruses detected in the United States now totals 29: Hawaii (1), Indiana (7), Iowa (3), Ohio (10), Maine (2), Pennsylvania (3), Utah (1), and West Virginia (2).
Most human infection with H3N2 variant virus has resulted in signs and symptoms of influenza (fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat, muscle aches).
Children younger than 5 years, people 65 years and older, pregnant women, and people with certain chronic medical conditions (like asthma, diabetes, heart disease, weakened immune systems, and neurological or neurodevelopmental conditions) are at high risk from serious complications if they get influenza.
Signs and symptoms of H3N2 variant virus infection cannot be differentiated from those caused by other respiratory infections, including seasonal influenza virus infection.
Studies conducted by CDC have indicated that children younger than 10 years old would have little to no immunity against H3N2 variant virus, whereas adults may have some cross-protective immunity.
Influenza is a contagious respiratory illness caused by infection with influenza viruses.
Human influenza viruses infect people and swine influenza A viruses infect pigs.
Occasionally, influenza viruses can spread between people and pigs. While this isn’t common, it can happen. When a swine influenza A virus infects a person, these viruses are called ‘variant viruses.’
While swine influenza A viruses seldom infect humans, such infections can occur. Human infections with swine viruses are thought to occur in the same way that seasonal influenza viruses spread among people.
- The Influenza AH1N1 Virus, Combines Genes From Different Flu VirusesThere are 3 types (A, B and C) of the influenza virus that can cause...
- Vaccine Effective Against Different Types Of Flu Virus DevelopedScientists have developed a vaccine that could end the need for annual winter flu injections....
- Savants Have Found Where FMD Virus Starts Infection In CattleFoot and mouth disease (FMD), is a highly infectious vesicular disease of cloven footed animals,...
- Human Papillomavirus Infection Is Predominant Among Males Than In FemalesSmoking and drinking are significant known risk factors for head and neck cancers. Oral human...
- Preventing Urinary Tract InfectionThe urinary system consisting of paired kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra is the second commonly...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on August 5, 2012 at 11:58 am, and is filed under Health Issues. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|