Children Diagnosed With Diabetes, Cause Is Linked To Obesity
Obesity is a growing problem around the world with more people becoming obese and at a younger age.
Young children with a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 20.5 are classified as severely obese. By the time they reaches the age of 18, A BMI of 35 is a sign of severe obesity.
In a study carried out on 500 children between 2005 and 2007 in the Netherlands, 307 identified as severely obese.
Two-thirds of the 307 children studied had a least one early symptom of hypertension.
By age 12 they had high cholesterol, blood glucose and blood pressure, according to the study in the journal Archives of Disease in Childhood.
Just over half of these 307 children were boys. They tended to be more severely obese at the younger end of the age spectrum; the reverse was true of girls.
Sixty five percent had at least one cardiovascular risk factor. Fifty percent had high blood pressure; a similar proportion had high levels of low density ‘bad’ cholesterol; fourteen percent had high fasting blood glucose; and just under one per cent already had type 2 diabetes.
Only one child’s obesity was attributable to medical rather than lifestyle factors.
Doireann Maddock, a senior cardiac nurse with the British Heart Foundation, said: “Highlighting the importance of healthy eating and physical activity from an early age will help protect the heart health of future generations.”
Dr. Joana Kist-van Holthe, Department of Public and Occupational Health, at the University Medical Center, Amsterdam, wrote: “The prevalence of impaired fasting glucose in these children, is worrying, considering the increasing prevalence worldwide of type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents.”
The researchers said this ‘may lead to cardiovascular disease in young adulthood’.
- Prevalence Of Obesity & Diabetes Noted For Economically Expanding IndiaIndia still strives to feed all of more than a billion population but childhood obesity...
- Diabetes Breakthrough, Testing Tears Instead Of Blood For Sugar LevelsScientists found a way to use tears instead of drawing blood to test patient’s sugar...
- Converting Fat That Stores Into Fat That Burns, A New Approach In Tackling Diabetes & ObesityPeople have two types of fat, white fat which stores energy and accumulates from not...
- Obesity Is Not Only Bad To Your Health But Makes Your Brain To DeteriorateObese people are more likely to lose their memory and thinking skills quicker than those...
- Cancer Has Been Linked To ObesityEuropean researchers had reported in their study published recently that being overweight or obese may...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on July 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm, and is filed under Fitness. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|