Children Is Not Spared From Bad Cholesterol
Currently, it is not only in the western world where a lot of children suffer from obesity, hypertension, cardiovascular problem, diabetes and other diseases.
In the Middleeast as well, children as young as eight years old are being prescribed with anti cholesterol drugs.
The Gulf News in Dubai reported that doctors have prescribed anti cholesterol drugs called statin to children because they have high levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
High cholesterol in children, as well as in adults, is a major factor in heart disease. Junk food and a sedentary lifestyle (no physical activity) are being blamed as the culprit.
According to Dr. Ahmad Kalban, general physician and director of Safa Health Center, he had to prescribe statins to children after weighing drug risks against potential benefits.
Dubai’s practice of prescribing anti-cholesterol drugs for children is echoed by a recommendation made by the American Academy of Pediatrics, which said that children as young as eight years old can be placed under said treatment.
For children who face high risk factors for heart disease, prevention, they claim, is better than cure in the light of modern society’s sedentary lifestyle and high fat diets.
Doctors who have recommended statins for children believe that narrowing of the arteries normally start at a very young age. High amounts of LDL and triglycerides can cause hardening and narrowing of the arteries, which can cause heart disease.
Aside from engaging in physical activities, children can also be taught to eat healthy and balance diets.
- Raising ‘Good Cholesterol’ Does Not Guarantee Lowering The Danger Of A Heart AttackConventional wisdom dictates that lowering ‘bad cholesterol’, known as Low-Density Lipoprotein or LDL is good...
- Children Diagnosed With Diabetes, Cause Is Linked To ObesityObesity is a growing problem around the world with more people becoming obese and at...
- Tips On Low Fat And Low Cholesterol DietA high blood cholesterol level is very often simply the result of eating cholesterol rich...
- Good Eating Habits With Regular Physical Activities Reduce High Levels Of CholesterolGood eating habits accompanied by regular physical activities are ways of regulating and reducing high...
- Elderly Persons Are Being Denied Vital Drugs That Could Have Averted Strokes & Heart AttackElderly persons are being denied cholesterol lowering drugs, statins, by general practitioner (GP) that could...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on September 19, 2011 at 10:06 am, and is filed under Health Issues. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|