Djokovic & Federer Win In The Wimbledon Opening Round
Top seed and defending champion Novak Djokovic recovered from a slow start to accelerate past Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-3, 6-3, 6-1 while six time Wimbledon champion and third seed Roger Federer dispatched Albert Ramos 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 in an hour and 19 minutes.
Djokovic, playing for the first time since his French Open final defeat to Rafael Nadal, was far too classy for Ferrero and will face either America’s Ryan Harrison or Lu Yen-Hsun of Taiwan for a place in the last 32.
The 25 year old Serb opted to take a break after that defeat in Paris rather than play in a grass-court warm-up.
Initially Ferrero offered more baseline resistance than he might have been expected away from his favored clay, but it didn’t take long for the Serb to get back into his groove and he emphatically wrapped up the match in 98 minutes.
Federer advanced with ease as he started his bid to equal Pete Sampras’s record of seven Wimbledon titles.
The Swiss fired down nine aces in his straightforward win over left-hander Ramos, the world No.43 who has never won a match on grass.
Sixth seed Tomas Berdych of Czech Republic was defeated on the opening day by 87th-ranked Latvian Ernests Gulbis who served 30 aces in winning 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-4) for his first victory.
Former Wimbledon finalist David Nalbandian of Argentina lost to eighth-seeded Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia 6-4, 7-6 (7-4), 6-2.
The 11th seed John Isner of the US was upset in five sets by Alejandro Falla of Colombia, 6-4, 6-7 (7), 3-6, 7-6 (7), 7-5.
While the 18th seed and 2007 semi-finalist, Richard Gasquet of France had no trouble against Germany’s Tobias Kamke , winning 6-2, 6-2, 6-2.
- Novak Djokovic Tries To End His Losing Streak At WimbledonNovak Djokovic is confident that playing on grass is something that he wanted to prove...
- Novak Djokovic & Roger Federer Advance Into Third Round At WimbledonRoger Federer routs Adrian Mannarino 6-2, 6-3, 6-2 in just under 90 minutes to scorch...
- Djokovic Beats Tsonga, Makes To The Wimbledon FinalSeeded no. 2 Novak Djokovic won 7-6 (4), 6-2, 6-7 (9), 6-3 over Frenchman Jo-Wilfried...
- Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic Win Their Initial Openings At WimbledonSix-time men’s champion Federer wins his initial opening, 7-6 (7/2), 6-4, 6-2 over Mikhail Kukushkin...
- Djokovic Advances To The Semi-finals, Federer Loses At WimbledonThe no. 2 seeded Novak Djokovic beats Australia’s Bernard Tomic 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 to...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on June 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm, and is filed under Sports Tennis. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|