Fruit Juice & Refreshment Drinks, Both Being Acidic Can Destroy Teeth Enamel
Parents giving their children refreshment drinks and seemingly healthy fruit drinks but they both can contain acid levels which can be damaging to teeth enamel, warn dentists.
The warning came as official figures revealed dental problems were the third most common reason for child hospital admissions last year.
Dentists have issued a warning about popular fruit drinks and smoothies after it emerged some can be as acidic as vinegar.
But an investigation found many contained a high acid level which can erode tooth enamel.
A ‘This Water’ drink recipe made with lemon and lime juice had a pH level of 2.7, is more acidic than vinegar at 2.9.
This is at the upper end of the acidity scale in which 7 is neutral and 1 is extremely high.
Tooth enamel begins to be destroyed higher than level 5.5 on the scale.
Among the fruit drinks tested includes Tropicana orange juice, Copella apple juice and Innocent refreshment drink, all had acid levels ranging between 3.3 and 3.8. Among those tested, Coca-Cola was the most acidic with a pH level of 2.5.
Dentists warn it is better for children to eat fruit with their meals or to have cheese or other alkaline food to combat the effects of acidic drinks.
Dr. Kathy Harley, dean of the dental faculty at the Royal College of Surgeons, said many parents are unaware that the combination of high acid and sugar can destroy young teeth.
She warned last year that 50 per cent of five year olds have signs of damage to their tooth enamel caused by excess acid in their diet.
Dentists advise, it is better for children to eat fruit with their meals or to have cheese or other alkaline food to combat the effects of acidic drinks or to drink water after having juice to wash away some of the acid.
Dentists said that rather than consuming fruit or fruit juices as a snack, they were better consumed at meal times.
Department of Health figures show dental problems were the third most common reason for children to be admitted to hospital in England in 2011-12 , beaten only by viral infections and disorders related to premature birth.
- Pure Fruit Juice Not Likely To Make Kids ObesePure fruit juice provide provides essential nutrients and in moderation may actually help children maintain...
- Alkaline pH Water – Its Contribution To A Healthy LifeNutritional expert has defined as the acidity or alkalinity of a substance, in which an...
- Drinking A Glass Of Pomegranate Juice Daily, Increases One’s LibidoPomegranate juice has surprising attributes and have long been revered as a superfood. They contain...
- Does Cranberry Juice Prevent Bladder Infection?Scottish researchers in 2009, had arranged some women with bladder infections to take one capsule...
- Dentists Are Warned Against Using Cheap Hand-held X-ray Machine On PatientsCheap imported handheld x-ray device known as the Tianjie Dental Falcon from China, could expose...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on June 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm, and is filed under Health Issues. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|