Is Monosodium Glutamate Bad To Your Health?
The introduction of Mono Sodium Glutamate (MSG) to the food industry as a flavor enhancer was phenomenal because it is almost found in all canned and frozen foods and predominantly used mostly in fast food and Chinese restaurants.
MSG may be a unique flavor enhancer to your food but too much dosage can cause danger to your health. Proponents of MSG however, has fought back when they claimed that it is just like anything else, it can be harmful only when consumed in large quantities.
Most people can use MSG without any negative effects felt, however others have their bodies severely reacted to the chemical substance. MSG has been linked to asthma, headaches, and heart irregularities.
A nutrition specialist at Beijing United Hospital, affirmed that MSG may cause some individuals some discomfort after consuming but believes that it’s relatively safe.
MSG related illnesses are not allergic reactions and are temporary. It is more pharmacological, which means that your body is reacting to the chemical composition of the substance and is dose related. Consuming too much MSG is definitely bad for the body.
Various people react differently to MSG, it may or may not be harmful to you and your family but you always use precautions. If you are not sure about the consumption of MSG, simply avoid it. Buy foods that are MSG free and always check the labels.
In 1992, a report from the United States Food and Drug Administration concluded that there are only two groups of people that are prone to negative reaction to MSG:
a) People who consumed over three grams of MSG on an empty stomach ( typical MSG treated foods usually contain only 0.50 gram).
b) People with severe and poorly controlled asthma. The study has acquitted MSG on all negative charges against it and it was considered safe.
The World Health Organization ( WHO ) placed MSG in the safest category of food additives. Despite, strong scientific evidences, that the fear of MSG is still widespread through out the world.
- ‘Umami’ – The Natural Glutamate, A Food EnhancerIt was in school, where we learned that there are four basic tastes known and...
- Manufacturers Need Evidence Promoting Food and Drinks With Health Benefits ClaimThe European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) approved more than 200 health claims for use on...
- Fast Food Has A Negative Effect On Mental Health, Regular Consumers Likely To Develop Depression – StudyPeople who often ate hamburgers, hotdogs and pizza are fifty one per cent more likely...
- Consumers Ignore Health Warnings On Food, As ‘Buy As They Like’ Attitude PrevailsMost consumers ignore nutritional labels on food packagings and simply buy what they like, a...
- Low Grade Melamine Tableware Is Hazardous To HealthPure melamine is a kind of plastic composed of alfa cellulose melamine crystal, and formaldehyde...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on December 11, 2007 at 3:14 am, and is filed under Health Issues. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|