Is Psoriasis A Contagious Skin Disease?
Psoriasis is a disease that affect both sexes and all age groups. It has something to do with the malfunction of the body’s immune system resulting to the proliferation and abnormal maturation of the outer cells on the outer layer of the skin that is accompanied by inflammation and abnormalities of the blood vessels.
Researchers have identified the genes that are link to the disease. It is not infectious and therefore psoriasis is not a contagious skin disease.
The skin lesions that characterize psoriasis consisted of red and well demarcated patches that are covered by silvery scales. They can occur at any parts of the body. Occasionally, the nails are also affected, they thicken and deform.
Generally, psoriasis affects only the skin although sometimes it complicates and produces swelling and pain in some joints (psoriatic arthritis)
The area of the skin when affected by psoriasis can vary from a few small spots to nearly complete body coverage. No signs of accompanying symptoms if when the covered area is small except for occasional itchiness and soreness.
If its extensive area that is covered, it is invariably accompanied by itchiness, tenderness and even bleeding. In any case the physical discomforts associated with psoriasis are generally tolerable, but the skin rashes are unsightly and often cause embarrassment and psychological distress to sufferers .
Psoriasis can be precipitated by intake of drugs like lithium and beta blockers (use in hypertension), stress, alcohol, injury, upper respiratory tract infection, but some occur without any precipitating cause.
Sunburn also exacerbates psoriasis although moderate exposure to the sun is beneficial. There is no cure yet for psoriasis but there are a variety treatment regimens currently available to alleviate the active skin lesions but none is consistently effective in inducing long term solution.
- Causes of Dry Skin Problem, Its RemedySebum is the natural oil that is produced by skin glands. When your skin has...
- Opt For Safer, Effective Skin Whitening Alternative From Chinese Herbal MedicineScientists have reported discovery of the active ingredients in an herb used in traditional Chinese...
- Can Obesity Be Literally Contagious?The first paper reporting that obesity could spread like a virus was published in 2007...
- Does Gold Has Therapeutic Effect On Skin Care?Gold has become a fad as ingredient in skin care products. Cosmetics executives say that...
- Incidence Of Skin Cancer Melanoma Increases Among Young Adults In The U.S.Melanoma is the most dangerous type of skin cancer and it is rising rapidly among...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on August 6, 2010 at 4:12 am, and is filed under Health Issues. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|