Kevin Costner Cleared By Jury of Any Wrongdoing Into Selling Shares Of His Company’s Stock
A New Orleans jury rejected claims that Kevin Costner deceived Stephen Baldwin (brother of celebrity Alec Baldwin) into selling shares of his stock in a company that became hugely profitable selling oil cleanup equipment in the wake of the British Petroleum (BP) spill.
The suit alleged that Costner cheated Baldwin and business partner Spyridon Contogouris out of their share of a deal under which BP bought 32 oil and water separation devices that were developed by a company owned by Costner.
The deal was struck after the Macondo well blew out in April 2010, spewing more than 4 million barrels of crude into the Gulf of Mexico in the largest accidental oil spill in history.
According to the suit, Baldwin and Contogouris claim they were not told about the deal with BP before they agreed to sell their shares in a company that had been set up to market Costner’s extraction devices.
As a result, they charge they were duped out of a portion of an US$ 18 million deposit from BP for the devices.
Kevin Costner has escaped a multi million dollar fine after a court dismissed Stephen Baldwin’s claims that he was duped into prematurely selling shares of a company that went on to bag a US$ 52 million contract.
The verdict was delivered after less than two hours of deliberation and has been completely vindicated by the New Orleans jury.
Costner told reporters of his relief at winning the case, and continued to deny all wrongdoing.
‘My name means more to me than money,’ the actor, wearing a tan striped blazer and sunglasses, told reporters after the ruling by the eight-person jury.
‘That’s why we wanted to get to the truth of this,’ said Costner.
He concluded by praising the jury for ‘doing their best to understand everything’ in a complex case.
‘They were really smart, and it was my good luck that they saw the truth of the story,’ he said.
Baldwin’s attorney James Cobb however, had repeatedly accused Costner of lying about the nature of his communication with BP executives before they sealed the deal.
‘The bigger celebrity won,’ Cobb said after the verdict.
‘We thought that we proved that Kevin Costner has made misrepresentations about the status of the company,’ he added. ‘The jury did not.’
- Kevin Costner Sued Over Shares Of StockA lawsuit is filed in Louisiana District Court by actor Stephen Baldwin and his friend...
- Charlie Sheen Is Selling His ‘Sherman Oaks Residence’Charlie Sheen is selling his long-time Sherman Oaks residence for US$ 7.2 million dollars, according...
- Adele Among UK’s Top Five Biggest Selling Albums Of All TimeAdele has tasted more success with her second album 21, which is now in the...
- An Insight On Stock Market InvestmentInvesting in the stock market is not for the faint of heart because of its...
- Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar & Kevin Na Share Lead In The Second Round Of The Players ChampionshipZach Johnson carded a six under 66 in the second round to tie for the...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on June 15, 2012 at 6:01 am, and is filed under Entertainment. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|