McDonald Rejects Calls To Assess Their Food Relative To Childhood Obesity
McDonald food chain has dismissed calls to review the impact of its food on childhood obesity.
Its corporate symbol, Ronald McDonald would still be peddling their Happy Meals to kids towards the future.
“This is about choice and we believe in the democratic process,” Chief Executive Jim Skinner told a packed room at its shareholders’ meeting, to an enthusiastic wave of applause.
“This is about the personal and individual right to choose.”
Shareholders of McDonald Corp. resoundingly rejected a proposal that would have required it to issue a report outlining its role in the childhood obesity epidemic, saying customers were free to make their own dietary choices.
“Ronald McDonald is an ambassador to McDonald’s and he is an ambassador for good. Ronald McDonald is going nowhere,” Skinner said firmly, prompting more cheers from shareholders.
Among the dissenters at the meeting was Dr. Donald Zeigler, director of Prevention and Health Lifestyles at the American Medical Association, who asked when the burger chain will stop marketing to children using Ronald McDonald.
Zeigler, who is also visiting assistant professor at Rush University Medical Center, was one of 550 healthcare professionals who had signed an open letter to McDonald’s pleading that it “stop making the next generation sick.”
Ironically, Miles White, chairman and chief executive of diversified healthcare company Abbott Laboratories, has been a director of the McDonald’s board since 2009.
Abbott makes a broad range of drugs, including cholesterol-lowering statins, and medical devices, such as heart stents used on patients with clogged arteries.
- Campaign Urges Food Chain’s Corporate Symbol Ronald McDonald To RetireA campaign by a non-profit entity, Corporate Accountability International, is urging McDonald’s to stop marketing...
- McDonald’s Introduces Healthier Menu, Food With less Fats & CaloriesUS fast-food giant McDonald’s introduced a new menu to cater customers who opt for healthier...
- Childhood Obesity and The Role of MediaThe increasing number of obese children worldwide suffering from diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea...
- Prevalence Of Obesity & Diabetes Noted For Economically Expanding IndiaIndia still strives to feed all of more than a billion population but childhood obesity...
- Combating Obesity By Increasing People’s Sensitivity To Fat In Their FoodAt first scientists have only known four basic tastes that human tongue can detect, sweet,...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on May 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm, and is filed under Social Issues. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|