McIlroy In Third, Five Shots Behind Second Round Leader Quiros At Dubai World Championship
World no. 2, Rory McIlroy despite feeling unwell in the tournament was able to retain in third position trailing five shots behind second round leader Alvaro Quiros of Spain.
First round leader Peter Hanson slips for second spot. The 22 year old U.S. Open champion discloses that he could have contracted dengue fever that indicate he may have caught the serious mosquito borne disease during his extensive recent travels.
“They said it could have been dengue fever,” said McIlroy, whose tests reflected a low platelet and white blood cell count.
“To be honest I’m ready for the season to be done,” the 22-year-old Briton told reporters after firing a 71 in the second round.
McIlroy, who shrugged off his illness is locked head on with world number one Luke Donald for the top money list spot in Europe.
The Northern Irishman, who is second in the European money-list, needs to win this week to have any chance of displacing Donald at the top.
Donald remained in contention after finishing a 68 in the second round.
Quirós, though, appeared to have no inclination of relinquishing his advantage, the threat from the Spaniard is formidable, given that he has recorded one victory in the Middle East already this season, at the Dubai Desert Classic.
Dubai World Championship second round leaderboard:
-12: A Quiros (Spain)
-8: P Hanson (Sweden)
-7: R Rock (England), R McIlroy (Northern Ireland)
-6: P Casey (England), P Lawrie (Scotland)
-4: L Donald (England), S Garcia (Spain)
-2: L Westwood (England), I Poulter (England), G NcDowell (Northern Ireland)
+4: D Clarke (Northern Ireland)
- Rory McIlroy Fires A 66, 3 Shots Behind First Round Leader At Dubai Desert Classic TourWorld no.2 Rory Mcilroy was trailing in the opening round of Dubai Desert Classic tournament...
- Alvaro Quiros Wins Dubai World Championship As Luke Donald Seals The U.S. & European Money ListSpaniard Alvaro Quiros, the overnight leader, won the title by two shots after a 67...
- Rory McIlroy Shares Opening Lead, Tiger Woods 3 Shots Behind At Abu Dhabi ChampionshipNorthern Irishman Rory McIlroy shot a five-under-par 67 to share the lead with Sweden’s Robert...
- Rory McIlroy Tie For The Lead With Alvaro Quiros In The Second Round Hong Kong OpenWorld no. 2, Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland and Spanish golfer Alvaro Quiros both carded...
- Rory McIlroy One Shot Behind First Round Leader Carl Petterson In US PGA ChampionshipWorld no. 3 Rory McIlroy carded a five under 67 in the first round of...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on December 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm, and is filed under Sports Golf. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|