Novak Djokovic & Roger Federer Move To Quarterfinals At Wimbledon
World number one Novak Djokovic beat compatriot world 12th ranked Viktor Troicki 6-3, 6-1, 6-3 in the fourth round at Wimbledon.
It took an hour and a half for Djokovic to defeat Troicki.
Djokovic dominates against his younger adversary as he broke the serve of his countryman and Olympic doubles partner six times.
Despite appearances, Djokovic insisted afterwards that it was not such an easy match.
‘Me and Viktor know each other so well. When we first played I was nine and he was eight. There are no secrets between us but today there had to be a loser, he said.
The Wimbledon defending champion faces Florian Mayer or Richard Gasquet in the quarter-finals.
Meanwhile, world number three Roger Federer advances to the quarterfinals after defeating Belgian Xavier Malisse 7-6, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 in the 4th round despite the surprising hiatus.
He certainly did not want to worry anyone about the causes of his departure for seven minutes after the seventh game to get his back treated.
Federer talks to his trainer and then goes off for treatment.
‘I felt it going at the start of the first set,’ he said with a remarkable lack of fuss.
‘I guess it must be a mix of the five-setter in the last round, the two days off and the cold wind today. I’m honestly not too concerned, I’ve had bad backs over the years, they go as quickly as they come.
‘Of course I have to keep an eye on it but two good nights’ sleep and I’ll be 100 percent on Wednesday. I’m pretty convinced, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to pull out the match the way I did.’
Federer said he apologized to Malisse for showing his back injury because, as is often seen, it appeared to mess with his concentration. The Belgian rallied to take the third set and got an early break in the fourth, but by then the painkillers were kicking in and the Swiss ended up winning the 4th round.
Federer faces Mikhail Youzhny of Russia in the quarterfinals.
- Novak Djokovic & Roger Federer Advance Into Third Round At WimbledonRoger Federer routs Adrian Mannarino 6-2, 6-3, 6-2 in just under 90 minutes to scorch...
- Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer Advance To Quarterfinals At French OpenWorld no. 1 Novak Djokovic survived a scare of his life when the Serb went...
- Novak Djokovic & Roger Federer Avoid Early Exit At WimbledonWorld number one Novak Djokovic avoided an upset against Radek Stepanek to book his place...
- Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic Win Their Initial Openings At WimbledonSix-time men’s champion Federer wins his initial opening, 7-6 (7/2), 6-4, 6-2 over Mikhail Kukushkin...
- Novak Djokovic & Roger Federer Reach Third Round While Rafael Nadal Loses At WimbledonSecond seed Rafael Nadal loses to Lukas Rosol of Czech Republic 6-7 (9-11), 6-4, 6-4,...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on July 3, 2012 at 6:44 am, and is filed under Sports Tennis. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|