Rafael Nadal Loses To Philipp Kohlschreiber In The Weber Open Quarterfinals At Halle
French Open champion Rafael Nadal was defeated by Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany 6-3, 6-4 in the Gerry Weber Open quarterfinals at Halle.
Kohlschreiber, the tournament defending champion ended Nadal’s 13-match winning streak.
The Spaniard was in difficulty from his first service game and the eighth seed German, wrapped up the first set in just over 30 minutes.
Kohlschreiber had eight aces, ending the first game with his first. He broke Nadal in the next, after the Spaniard saved two break points and intensified the pressure by pulling ahead 3-0. Nadal then wasted three chances to break in game four.
The German missed a chance to break the 11-time Grand Slam champion again in the first game of the second, and defended three break points to hold his serve three games later. Kohlschreiber broke again in the seventh game and quickly moved ahead 5-3.
Kohlschreiber kept calm to seal a fine victory and reach the last four.
It was the German’s first win over Nadal in nine attempts, although Friday’s match was their first meeting on grass.
Kohlschreiber will play Tommy Haas in the last eight after the German beat third seed Tomas Berdych 6-4 3-6 7-5 while Nadal confirmed he would now be heading home to Mallorca to rest ahead of Wimbledon, which starts on 25 June.
Meanwhile, Roger Federer of Switzerland,the second seed in this tournament defeated Canada’s Milos Raonic 6-7 (4), 6-4, 7-6 (3).
The Swiss advanced despite 25 aces by Raonic. The Canadian had 13 aces in a first set he won in a tiebreaker. Federer broke serve early in the second and forced a third set.
The 16-time Grand Slam champion Federer, is now favored to win a record sixth title at Halle following Nadal’s exit.
- Rafael Nadal & Roger Federer Win Their Opening Round At Qatar Open In DohaWorld no. 3 Roger Federer routed Nikolay Davydenko 6-2 6-2 in the opening round of...
- Rafael Nadal Defeats Roger Federer, Advances To The Finals At Australian OpenWorld no. 2 Rafael Nadal advanced to the finals of the Australian Open by beating...
- Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal & Roger Federer Advance Into The Italian Open Semi-finalsWorld no. 1 Novak Djokovic of Serbia found sufficient resolve in a tight first set...
- Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer & Andy Murray Advance Into The Third Round At French OpenWorld no. 2 Rafael Nadal, a six-time winner at Roland Garros, clinched a 6-2, 6-2,...
- Rafael Nadal & Roger Federer Advance To Quarter-finals At The Australian OpenRafael Nadal defeated fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 in the third round while...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on June 15, 2012 at 9:15 pm, and is filed under Sports Tennis. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|