Raising ‘Good Cholesterol’ Does Not Guarantee Lowering The Danger Of A Heart Attack
Conventional wisdom dictates that lowering ‘bad cholesterol’, known as Low-Density Lipoprotein or LDL is good for the heart.
However, scientists say raising levels of ‘good cholesterol’ known as HDL, may not protect you from cardiac disease because its higher concentrations have been associated with lower risk of heart attacks in some studies, but its exact mechanism has always been uncertain.
In the new research, scientists studied genes involved in raising HDL in about 170,000 individuals and found that 15 HDL raising genetic variants they tested do not reduce the risk of heart attack.
It was found that there was no difference in heart attack risk of individuals who carried genes involved in elevated HDL than those without the genetic variant.
A team of researchers from Harvard Medical school supports the research findings when it has found no direct link between raising good cholesterol levels, or HDL with a lower risk of a heart attack.
Dr. D. Prabhakaran, executive director, Center for Chronic Disease Control, said, ‘Heart attack is multifactorial and not confined to one single risk factor like low HDL.
‘While understanding genetics to develop new drugs may be useful, it would be wrong not to address other risk factors such as high blood pressure, high blood glucose, obesity and tobacco.’
The study published in the medical journal The Lancet compared heart-attack risk among people who inherited known genetic variants that gave them higher HDL levels.
This should mean they had a lower risk of coronary disease. However, the study of more than 50,000 people found no such link.
This implies that it is best to focus on lowering the levels of LDL in order to tackle heart disease.
- Higher Levels Of Vehicle Exhaust Can Trigger Heart Attack – StudyBreathing in heavy traffic fumes can trigger a heart attack, according to British researchers. The...
- Workers Exposed To Asbestos Are At Risk Of Heart Attack, Stroke & Serious Lung DiseasesAsbestos workers are at risk of heart attack, stroke and serious lung diseases, such as...
- Turmeric In Curry Powder Helps Reduce Incidence Of Heart Attack To Bypass Operated PatientsCurry powder is more of a generic term for a blend of different spices. It...
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids In Fish, Good For DiabeticsDiabetics are six times more likely to suffer a first heart attack and three to...
- Too Little Or Too Much Salt Intake Is Bad To Your HealthToo little or too much salt intake may trigger the same risk for diabetics and...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on May 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm, and is filed under Health Issues. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|