Sunlight Exposure & Fish Consumption Reduce The Chance Of Having A Stroke
Getting enough sunshine and consuming vitamin D enriched foods could reduce stroke risk, according to a study.
The University of Hawaii team of researchers based their conclusions on a 34-year study of 7,500 middle-aged and elderly Japanese-American men living in the islands.
Dr. Gotaro Kojima, one of the researchers, said getting vitamin D from food or supplements was of greater importance for older people because synthesizing the vitamin from sunlight becomes more difficult with age.
He revealed that their ‘study confirms that eating foods rich in vitamin D might be beneficial for stroke prevention.’
American scientists have found that a lack of vitamin D, which is naturally manufactured by the skin when exposed to strong sunlight, and is also found in foods including nuts and oily fish – can raise stroke risk by more than a fifth.
They discovered that the quarter of people with the lowest vitamin D levels were at a 22 per cent higher risk of having a stroke than those in the top quarter.
Low vitamin D levels increased the chance of having the more common type of stroke, known as an ischemic stroke, where a clot becomes lodged in a brain blood vessel.
However, low levels did not affect the likelihood of the other type, called a hemorrhagic stroke, caused by a burst brain blood vessel.
Writing in Stroke, a journal of the American Heart Association, Dr. Kojima and colleagues had advised that ‘based on the results of this and other epidemiological studies, higher vitamin D intake or vitamin D supplementation may be beneficial for stroke prevention.’
- Myopia Prevalent To East Asian Students Deprive From Sunlight Exposure While Aiming For Academic ExcellenceMyopia, or short-sightedness, now affects between 80 percent and 90 percent of school children in...
- Sleep Deprivation Could Trigger A stroke Despite Being HealthyPeople who slept for fewer than six hours were most likely to experience stroke symptoms...
- Is There Risk In Frequent Fish Consumption?As fish can contain mercury, you have to wonder of how safe it is to...
- Drinking Red Wine Could Reduce The Chance Of Getting Fat – StudyScientists have revealed a compound found in red wine that could actually reduce the chance...
- Low Fat With Fish Oil Diet Reduce Growth Of Prostate Cancer CellsUS scientists have found out that a low fat with fish oil diet can reduce...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on May 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm, and is filed under Fitness. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|