The Misunderstood Condition Of Epilepsy
Epilepsy is actually the most common chronic brain disorder in every country in the world and it can happen to anyone, even normal people, but it happens more often to people with diseases or injury of the brain.
Epilepsy or seizure is a medical condition caused by a temporary electrical disturbance inside the brain. When this happens, a person’s movements, behavior and consciousness maybe affected for a brief period.
In its global campaign against epilepsy , the World Health Organization (WHO) said that it is all about the misunderstood condition of epilepsy,
“It can be doubtful if there is any other medical condition so universally neglected, due to a combination of social stigma, low profile and lack of resources.”
Indeed, epilepsy continues to be treated with fear, suspicion and prejudice. It is unfortunate that despite the modern times, the uninformed public continues to view this condition as a result of possession by spirits or mistakenly associate it with mental illness and retardation.
Anything that damages the brain can cause epilepsy, infectious diseases, birth complications, metabolic disorders, tumor and stroke, are among the more common causes.
According to the Philippine League Against Epilepsy, over 50 million people worldwide suffer from this condition and an about 750,000 people are affected in the Philippines.
While it is so common, there is still a need to demystify epilepsy. One important factor that should be kept in mind is that epilepsy, is a treatable disorder.
It is high time as well that the stigma be taken out of this condition as people who have epilepsy.
- Epilepsy Sufferers Experience Seizure Free After Brain SurgeryIn the first long-term study of post-surgery epilepsy patients, researchers followed 615 patients for up...
- People With Schizophrenia Could Also Be At Risk Of Developing Epilepsy – StudyPeople with schizophrenia are six times more likely to develop epilepsy, says a study which...
- Migraine Has Been Linked To GeneticsMigraine affects around one in six women and one in twelve men, and has been...
- Researchers Induce Obesity To Primates, Aim To Treat Condition Of Obese HumansA group of researchers is using the monkeys to compare gastric bypass surgery with weight...
- Extreme Global Weather Condition Is Caused By Climate Change – U.N.United Nations’ (UN) scientists unveiled a report that man-made climate change has already boosted heatwaves...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on October 14, 2010 at 6:01 am, and is filed under Health Issues. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|