The Potentials of Moringa – The Miracle Plant
Not everyone knows the enormous benefits derived from Moringa Oleifera locally known as Malunggay or Kamunggay in Philippine dialect.
Research had shown that ounce for ounce of Moringa leaves contain seven times the Vitamin C found in oranges, four times the Vitamin A found in carrots, four times the calcium found in milk, three times the potassium found in bananas and two times the protein found in yogurt.
For this reason, it has put Moringa as the most nutritious vegetable plant around and has been used as fortificant in noodles, bread, biscuits, delicacies, burgers, hot dogs
It is also known to be the best nutritional support for nursing mothers because it is not only rich in nutritional content but for its medicinal properties as well.
By making vegetable soup out from fresh Moringa leaves, it has been found to increase the volume of breast milk produced by lactating mothers.
Another established medicinal property of Moringa Olfeira is its anti bacterial action. French scientists had found that Moringa contains an anti bacterial peptide (a molecule composed of two or more amino acids, the building blocks of proteins) that can destroy the cell membrane of many infectious bacteria.
Clinical research revealed that Moringa helps prevent Mastitis, an inflammation of the breast caused by the blocking of milk ducts while the mother is lactating which is a common problem in breastfeeding.
This can cause a painful sensation on the breasts or nipples that may lead to fever or flu like symptoms. The most common infecting organism is Staphylococcus Aureus, that can be found anywhere which can be passed on to the mothers during suckling by their babies.
Studies had shown that the anti bacterial peptide found in Moringa Oleifera is effective against this bacteria.
It can be used in porridge and as tea due to its richness in vitamins and minerals.
Aside from its nutritional and health benefits of Moringa, through its seeds it has the full potential of producing bio fuel, cooking oil, personal care products, cosmetics, aromatherapy, perfume, industrial oil and lubricants. Its oil is comparable to sunflower and olive oil.
It is much better than palm oil in terms of properties, for it has a low trans fatty acids. Twelve kilograms of moringa seeds one liter of oil can be extracted and about eight and a half kilograms of cake among others as by products.
In southern Philippines, a local biotechnology venture capitalist has urged everyone to explore more the full potential of this wonderful plant, a very promising crop when use as a raw material for bio fuel production.
They encourage farmers to switch into commercial scale of planting Moringa in anticipation of the bigger market. For seeds alone, farmers can earn an annual gross revenue of about seven thousand dollars per hectare.
- The Potentials Of Pearl Farming, A Lucrative IndustryPearl farming began in Japan at the early part of the century. While the technology...
- A 30,000 Years Old Seed Grown Back To Life By Scientists Into A Full Flowering PlantThe herbaceous Silene stenophylla plant, grown from fruit seeds stored more than 30,000 years ago....
- Kulitis – The Beneficial Tropical PlantKulitis is known in Philippine various dialects as tampala, uray, kuyapa or kujapa; internationally it...
- Measuring Plant Consumption Of Carbon Dioxide Underscores Role In Regulating ClimatePlants form an important role of the worldwide carbon cycle in which carbon is continuously...
- Fire Orchid Propagation, A Unique Plant CollectionFire Orchid, comes from the genus of Renanthera, is a beautiful plant and as it...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on October 11, 2007 at 3:33 am, and is filed under Nutritional Food. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|