Tiger Woods Lurks A Shot Behind Third Round Leader Brendon De Jonge At Congressional
Former world number one Tiger Woods carded a four-under 67 to lurk a stroke behind of
Zimbabwe’s Brendon de Jonge who seized the lead by carding a two-under 69 in the third round of the storm hit Congressional.
De Jonge birdied three holes but hardly had any spectators after they were told to stay away because of a severe storm that struck the area overnight.
Tournament officials delayed the start of the round for six hours for safety concerns, fans and volunteers were told to stay away so just players, their family members, security and media were allowed in.
The storm snapped trees, tore temporary tents from their foundations and scattered debris across the course.
Along with downed branches around the course, a 75-foot (22m) tree fell on the fairway of the 14th hole and many of the wooden signs identifying the holes were blown down.
Woods moved to within one shot of the lead with four birdies on his first 10 holes.
He is tied with first-round leader Bo Van Pelt (67) and South Korea’s Noh Seung-yul (69).
Playing without huge galleries in competition for the first time in decades, former world number one Woods was bogey-free, picking up his four birdies in the opening 10 holes, including a majestic chip-in on the sixth.
Second-round leader Hunter Mahan stumbled to a two-over 73. He finished three rounds tied with fellow American Billy Hurley (66) at five-under-par 208. Jhonattan Vegas (68) is one stroke back at four-under.
Tournament officials said they hope to have cleared the area in time for Sunday’s final round.
- Tiger Woods One Shot Behind From Third Round Leader Zach Johnson At Chevron ChallengeFormer Masters champion Zach Johnson took a one-shot lead over former world no. 1 Tiger...
- Tiger Woods 3 Shots Behind First Round Leader Jarrod Lyle At Australian OpenU.S. golfer Tiger Woods shot a 4-under 68 on Thursday night in the Australian Open,...
- Tiger Woods Leads One Shot Over Rory McIlroy & Luke Donald At The Memorial TournamentFormer world no. 1 Tiger Woods moved into contention at the Memorial tournament after shooting...
- Tiger Woods Trails Opening Round Leader Michael Thompson By Three Shots At The US OpenThree time US Open Champion Tiger Woods carded a one under 69 trailing Michael Thompson...
- Tiger Woods Leads The Second Round Of 2011 Australian OpenU.S. golfer Tiger Woods shot a sizzling round of five-under-par 67 today to lead a...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on July 1, 2012 at 10:00 am, and is filed under Sports Golf. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|