Tiger Woods Shares Lead In US Open, Rory McIlroy & Luke Donald Unsuccessful To Make Cut
Former world number one Tiger Woods is halfway in his bid for his 15th major title after experiencing four long years of a major title drought.
In the second round at Olympic Woods shares the lead with fellow Americans Jim Furyk and David Toms.
The three time US Open shot a 70, while 2003 champion Furyk took 69 and 2001 US PGA winner Toms carded 70 to lead by one at one under par.
This is the 10th time Woods has led or had a share of the lead after 36 holes of a major. Of the previous nine, he won eight.
‘It was some kind of test out there but I feel good about what I am doing and about my game plan,’ said Woods.
The 36-year-old Woods, three shots adrift of leader Michael Thompson in tied second overnight, picked up a shot at the third to take the lead but went backwards with three straight bogeys from the fifth.
But he settled himself with two pars before further birdies came at 10 and 13, and he missed other decent chances, notably on the 17th.
I feel good about what I’m doing,” said Woods. “All the work I’ve been doing with Sean (coach Sean Foley) is finally starting to pay off. But we’ve got a long way to go.”
Defending champion Rory McIlroy and world number one Luke Donald missed the cut.
The world’s two top-ranked players were unable to fight back after disappointing first rounds and carded 73 and 72 to end 10 over and 11 over respectively.
Three other Briton remain on the fringes of contention. Justin Rose had to be disappointed with a round of 75 but, at four over par, is only five off the pace. Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter began their third rounds on Saturday a further shot adrift, and by no means out of it.
Five-time runner-up Phil Mickelson took 71 to end seven over, but Masters champion Bubba Watson also fell foul of the eight over cut mark with 78, 71 for nine over.
US Open Second Round Leaderboard:
-1 : Tiger Woods (US), Jim Furyk (US), David Toms (US)
+1 : J Peterson (US), Nicolas Colsaerts (Belgium), Graeme McDowell (Northern Ireland), Michael Thompson (US)
Others : +4 : Justin Rose (England), Ernie Els (South Africa), Sergio Garcia (Spain), Padraig Harrington (Ireland)
+5 : Lee Westwood (England), Ian Poulter (England)
+7 : Phil Mickelson (US)
+9 : Martin Laird (Scotland), Bubba Watson (US)
+10 : Rory McIlroy (Northern Ireland)
+11 : Luke Donald (England)
- Rory McIlroy Shares Opening Lead, Tiger Woods 3 Shots Behind At Abu Dhabi ChampionshipNorthern Irishman Rory McIlroy shot a five-under-par 67 to share the lead with Sweden’s Robert...
- Tiger Woods Leads One Shot Over Rory McIlroy & Luke Donald At The Memorial TournamentFormer world no. 1 Tiger Woods moved into contention at the Memorial tournament after shooting...
- Tiger Woods Share Lead With Robert Rock In 3rd Round, Rory McIlroy Trailing At Abu Dhabi TourFormer world no. 1 Tiger Woods vaulted to the top in the third round sharing...
- Rory McIlroy May Retake The Golf Top Spot Held By Luke Donald After RBC TourLuke Donald has fared poorly in the current RBC Heritage golf tournament, after he carded...
- Robert Rock Wins Abu Dhabi Championship, Rory McIlroy & Tiger Woods, Take 2nd & 3rd PlacesEngland’s Robert Rock won the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship not only to get the better...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on June 16, 2012 at 1:29 am, and is filed under Sports Golf. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|