Webb Simpson Wins The 2012 U.S. Open Title
Webb Simpson carded a 68 in the final round of the 2012 US Open at The Olympic Club beating Michael Thompson and Graeme McDowell by one shot.
It is Simpson’s first major championship and third professional victory. He won twice on the PGA Tour in 2011.
He played the final 13 holes in four under par, including three consecutive birdies from No. 6.
Simpson is the fifth consecutive former Walker Cup competitor to win the U.S. Open, joining Tiger Woods (2008), Lucas Glover (2009), Graeme McDowell (2010) and Rory McIlroy.
Jim Furyk, the 2003 champion, and McDowell began the final round with a share of the 54-hole lead at 1-under 209, four strokes ahead of Simpson. But McDowell carded a 73 and Furyk struggled to a 74.
Both Furyk and McDowell had a chance to tie Simpson at the 72nd hole. Furyk knocked his approach into a left greenside bunker and made a bogey. McDowell’s 24-foot birdie try drifted to the left.
Furyk held the lead most of the day until making a costly bogey at the par-5 16th hole, where he pull-hooked his drive into heavy rough. The poor tee shot led to a 6.
Furyk wound up two strokes back at 3-over 213 with David Toms, Padraig Harrington, Jason Dufner, John Peterson.
Simpson finally celebrating his victory with his wife, Dowd.
US Open 2012 Final Round Leaderboard:
+1 : Webb Simpson (US)
+2 : Michael Thompson (US), Graeme McDowell (Northern Ireland), Jim Furyk (US)
Selected others :
+3 : Padraig Harrington (Ireland), David Toms (US), Jason Dufner (US), John Peterson (US)
+4 : Ernie Els (South Africa)
+5 : Lee Westwood (England), Casey Wittenberg (US), John Senden (Australia), Kevin Chappell (US), Retief Goosen (South Africa)
+6 : K.J. Choi (South Korea), Steve Stricker (US), Adam Scott (Australia), Fredrick Jacobson (Sweden), Martin Kaymer (Germany), Aaron Watkins (US)
+7 : Justin Rose (England), Tiger Woods (US), Jordan Spieth (amateur US)), Nick Watney (US), Blake Adams (US), Raphael Jacquelin (France)
- Webb Simpson Retakes The Lead At Wells Fargo, As Rory McIlroy Closes In Into The Final RoundAmerican Webb Simpson carded a 3-under 69 in the third round that gave him a...
- Jim Furyk & Graeme McDowell Share Lead At US Open, Tiger Woods Slips To Five Shots BehindAmerican Jim Furyk (70) is in contention for his second major title after maintaining his...
- Els Wins The 2012 British Open, Scott Second While Woods & Snedeker Settle For ThirdErnie Els of South Africa wins the 2012 British Open by carding a two under...
- Louis Oosthuizen Clinches The 2012 Maybank Malaysian Open TitleSouth African Louis Oosthuizen carded a four under 68 in the final round to clinch...
- Rory McIlroy Edges Louis Oosthuizen By One Shot To Win Deutch Bank Open TitleWorld no. 1 Rory McIlroy took an impressive 4-under 67 in the final round to...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on June 17, 2012 at 11:59 pm, and is filed under Sports Golf. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|