Women Who Worry A Lot Are Less Likely To Give Birth To Baby Boys
Under stress women are more likely to have baby girls than boys, experts say.
Prospective parents hoping to have a son and heir should just relax and worried women are less likely to give birth to baby boys as research suggests.
Experts say it could mean women being told to watch their stress levels as well as their diet and lifestyle when trying for a baby.
According to Dr. Cecilia Pyper, from the Department of Public Health at Oxford University, the research is addressed to healthy women in UK trying for a baby; this area is important to research because it needs to identify ways of making pregnancies and babies as healthy as possible.
Scientists who monitored women in the months before they became pregnant found that those who were suffering from long-term stress had more girls.
Those who had short-term anxieties also took longer to conceive.
It is the latest study to suggest that the circumstances in which babies are conceived, such as their parents’ diet and lifestyle, plays an important role in their development.
At the American Society of Reproductive Medicine’s annual conference in Orlando, Florida, 338 women from Britain who were trying to become pregnant were asked to keep daily journals about their lifestyles and their sex lives.
Their levels of two hormones known to rise with stress, cortisol and alpha-amylase, were also measured in the six months before they conceived.
Cortisol is linked to long-term stress such as money, work or health worries, while alpha-amylase levels can be triggered by a sudden release of adrenalin after a difficult journey or an argument, for instance.
Results for the 130 women in the group who went on to have babies were ‘indicative of a strong female excess,’ with 58 boys but 72 girls.
Normally in Western countries, 105 boys are born for every 100 girls.
Most strikingly, the odds of having a boy were 75 per cent lower among the women with the highest cortisol levels and 69 per cent lower in those with the second-highest levels.
- A Woman With A Stressful Early Pregnancy Lowers The Odds Of Delivering A Baby BoyA would be mother experiencing a stressful early pregnancy could either lower the odds for...
- Dental Hygiene Is Vital For Women Who Want The Chance Of Having A BabyDoctors have advised women who want the best chance of having a baby should observe...
- Are Men Smarter Than Women In The Field Of Math And Science?There are so much discussion regarding a controversial hypothesis about differences in the sexes’ aptitude...
- Mathematical Ability Differences Between Men & Women Are Due To Social Factors – StudyScientists have previously believed that the relatively low numbers of women in high-level mathematics could...
- The Beach Boys Reunites After 50 Years Eying New Album & Tour In 2012The American band rose to fame in the 1960′s due to the popularity of their...
|Print article||This entry was posted by Affleap on October 17, 2011 at 11:26 pm, and is filed under Parenting. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.|